Arrived in Mexico City yesterday afternoon. What a beautiful city! I may not have said that a few months ago when H1N1 was the hot topic and breathing masks were en voge. However, I feel like I am in Europe. It is a very large city with 8.8 million inhabitants. We are staying in the business district right on Paseo de la Reforma, a broad, tree-lined, monument studded, 6-8 laned boulevard fashioned after the Champs Elysees in Paris.
The food has been FABULOUS. Last night we dined at Villa Maria in the Polenco district (hip, nice neighborhood). Had a phenomenal margarita - Margarita Tamarindo. I don't even know how to describe the taste, you will just have to come to Mex City to try it. The best part is that it was so big that I had to hold it with 2 hands!
Today we had a great tour of the historic (well, one of the historic parts) part of town to see the Government Palace, the zocolo (town square) and the cathedral. The Government Palace is home to beautiful murals by Diego Rivera depicting Mexico's complex history and colorful people. We were very moved by the stories of the paintings and details that Rivera painted are amazing. The Cathedral is beautiful, emphazing the Mexican people's devotion to the Virgen de Guadalupe.
What is really interesting about this city is that most of it is sinking. It is said that the city sinks approximately 6 inches per year! It is really noticible on some streets where the sidewalks are 20 feet below street level. We felt the slant when we were walking from one side of the cathedral to the other and some doors and doorways are very crooked. More on the sinking later...
What is really interesting about this city is that most of it is sinking. It is said that the city sinks approximately 6 inches per year! It is really noticible on some streets where the sidewalks are 20 feet below street level. We felt the slant when we were walking from one side of the cathedral to the other and some doors and doorways are very crooked. More on the sinking later...
I decided not to bring my computer along for the sake of simplicity. Lugging a laptop in and out of a racecar didn't really sound like fun, one more added stress that I want to avoid. So unfortunately I won't be able to upload any photos during the trip. I have already been snapping away but you will have to wait until we return for that visual smorgasbord. Sorry :(
We're off to Huatulco tomorrow. We're in for a major temperature change. It has been 70 and cloudy here in Mex City and it will be 92 with 60 percent humidity. At least we will be at the beach!
1 comment:
haha your the first person i know that thinks Mexico City is beautiful!
It is a fascinating city to say the least. Be safe-- and not too many margaritas before the race!
Post a Comment