Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 2 of Racing

Day 2

Today was the day to race to Copper Canyon, which is Mexico's version of the Grand Canyon, only deeper and narrower. Left the hotel earlier because it was to be a long day of racing.

The drive took us into some beautifully wooded country in high elevation - over 7,000 feet. Needless to say it was a windy drive.


We caught up with the race cars at the first servicio stop in a little town called San Juanito where the racers had to fill up with gas because there wouldn't be any stations up the hill nor at the Copper Canyon stop.


Dad and Shields were racing well, all except for having no power stearing because for some unknown reason couldn't get the power stearing belts to stay on. So they wanted to try some different sizes. Off I went in search of a car parts store in this little town! I did find one, and they had belts, but the sizing system is different in Mexico so I had to hold the old belts up to the new ones to get some a little smaller and a little bigger. The clerk must have thought I was nuts, what in the world would a girl need so many belts for?!?! But they were cheap and I bought bunch.



The next speed section was the start of the very windy road. As I was following in the back of the pack with the other servicios, this is what we came up on:



HOLY SHIT IS RIGHT!!!!!

It was two guys in this Studebaker (that appropiately had flames painted on). They had skidded off the road, FLIPPED and then land right side up then burst into flames. Fortunately they both made it out safely and unhurt.
It really goes to show how serious the racers take the safety precautions - 5 point seatbelts, helmets, Haans devices, fire proof racing suits and fire systems in the cars, fuel pump shut-offs and very technical roll cages. And because of these safety measures, when accidents like this one do happen, the drivers are able to walk away safely.

The race then made its way up to Copper Canyon to the lunch stop without any more problems. And the view from the top was worth the effort to get up there!
And then...the curvy race back down proved even more perilous and several more racers fell victim. A Left 3 wrecked havock on several cars. One of the fastest cars, Doug Mockett's Oldsmobile, creamed off the guardrail, but was able to keep going down the road. Several other cars also had incidents with the same corner, further weakening the precarious guardrail. Then came Joe Harding, an Englishman from San Diego. He skidded off the road where the guardrail was damaged, his really neat Ford Falcon Sprint rolled upside down, creamed through the forest, trees didn't even slow it down, hit a pile of rocks, flipped back over, and burst into flames. They both got out alright, but Joe (the driver) had a broken leg and foot. This is what the scene looked like:

WOWZER.
We continued on after making sure the drivers were out and safe. But talk about being shook up and I wasn't even in the race!

Then I see skid marks going straight into a rock wall and a guardrail and said to Denise (who was in the truck with me), "Oh wow, someone hit the guardrail there!" Continuing around the tight right turn we look up and see Dad and Shields! The skid marks were theirs! And here's why: They had gone through a series of 3 and 4 turns (the turns are ranked 1-5, 5 being the most severe and VERY rare) and Dad was muscling the car through without power stearing. Then they went from a 1 to a 5 - very sharp turn to the right. Dad just couldn't get the car turned and just barely kissed the guardrail with the front left bumper and fender. But, at least the car still runs and both Dad and Shields were ok! Ay yay yay! Because they took time to check the car and get going again, they missed the rest of the speed sections for the day, but all things considering, we were all happy that the car was still in driving condition at the end of the day.

I tell you what, the whole day was one of the wildest, nerve-wracking, extreme experiences that I have ever had! Driving behind the race and seeing all of the carnage that was left was unbelievable. It really made me grateful for all of the safety precautions that the drivers and co-pilotos and race officials take very seriously.

That night when we finally arrived back to the hotel (DFL again!) I was wondering what else could possibly happen...

1 comment:

Gary Faules said...

I must say I am loving your blog and it's very well written too I might add. You really made me laugh so I will explain. When I was a young boy I misunderstood my father tell my mother about a logging truck accident where he said, "That truck careened through the other cars like they were toys." For years after that I used the same word as you. (Creamed) I thought he had said he creamed the other cars and it made perfect sense to me. After all, if a car the size of Dougs hits a guardrail it would indeed be creamed. LOL.

So when I read your post where you used it twice it really cracked me up.

"Doug Mockett's Oldsmobile, creamed off the guardrail"

"(Joe Harding) creamed through the forest, trees didn't even slow it down,"