Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Targa Days 1 & 2


What a blur rallying becomes! It is 9:30 Tuesday night and I just finished my calculations for tomorrow's stages. We're in the Grand Touring Class which is run in a time/speed/distance rallying format based on calculations, timing and driving accuracy. So we are given an end time and average speed for each section. We then have to calculate various points along the section at which we will be passing an odometer point (I have an ODO in front of me on the dash) and at which exact second we need to pass that point with the goal of crossing the finish time at the optimum time. Sounds easy - challenging to do. Because Targa didn't release the times and speeds until we got our route books on Saturday, we have to calculate as we go. Some teams have a few people and programs and spreadsheets to help with the calculations. I use a time/speed/distance app on my phone, a calculator and a pencil. It makes me nutty! A necessary evil for the class we're in.

So the last two days:

Day 1 was LONG. In the car at 7am and out of the car at 7:30pm. We covered a lot of distance and some stages were delayed making for an exhausting day. Though, it was a gorgeous Newfoundland day and we had ZERO penalties. That made for waking up at 5 a little better.

Lined up at the first section on day 1. We had a little drizzle but the stage was very fun. 

Waiting to run in reverse a section called "Turks Gut." Marinus Damm enjoying the Newfie sun (http://dammralliers.com/).

I'm enjoying the sun, too!

Cod Au Gratin. Cod is the national food of Newfoundland! I really don't know if it is but it sure is a staple. The star of this homemade meal was the partidge berry cake with brown sugar sauce. I make sure to always try their desserts and they are always divine.

Day 2: Fueled with a McDonalds coffee and McMuffin, we were off! It was another beautifully sunny and warm-ish day. 

Cars before the roar of engines. Cars are staged in the Eastlink Events Centre in Clarenville. It's a hockey rink!

Transitting to our first stage of the day. It's always important to grab the route book for the right day. My cockpit.

The end of one rally stage was in Boat Harbour. It's an iconic fishing village. 

Boat Harbour

Crab baskets

That's the Newfoundland Labrador provincial flag under the Maple Leaf


The community of Harbour Mille gernerously served roast BEEF for lunch today and it got a thumbs us from us! *I really do love fish, too*

Add caption

Harbour Mille

Harbour Mille
We found Steve Strupp and Greg's next project in Terrenceville:

It was a lot of work to bring ashore.



Inspecting "Captain Jack's Bar and Grill" potential (the famed speed racer Jack Rogers)
My eyes are crossing - I better get some sleep. Hopefully a good update tomorrow!

No comments: