Sunday, October 14, 2012

Time to Head South


It's that time! Back to Old Mexico for the historic and exciting La Carrera Panamericana. Dad and I head south tomorrow to Veracruz to meet our racing friends, have the cars tech-ed on Tuesday and Wednesday, do pre-qualification on Thursday and put the petal to the metal on Friday. 7 days and 7 different cities to the finish in Zacatecas.

Here is our "hero card" for this year. Each team has these cards made up to hand out at the stops. The people love them! They go crazy for un autografia and a copy of each car's card. You just have to soak it up because were else can you be treated like such a rock star?!


Yes, I'm a bad blogger and never finished blogging the race last year. It had something to do with a city that shall remain nameless (Guanajuato) and had to do with dark tunnels, traffic, over-heating and tears. Lots of cuss words too, but I've blocked the majority out of my memory because we go there again this year and we are going to kick Guanajuato's ass* and have no problems with the tunnels and have a shot of tequila to mock that heinous labyrinth. However - I will do my best to be a better blogger this year.

Despite our challenges last year, we stuck with it and were 2nd in our class. It is an honor to end up on the podium, let alone finish the race.


This will be Dad's 6th time racing the La Carrera and my 3rd navigating for him. We again are in the ol' gal - 1954 Ford Victoria. We race in the Original Pan Am class which includes cars from 1940-1954 that could have originally run in the early days of the race. There are, of course, other classes and more modern cars but nothing newer than 1970. I like to think we have the most fun in the Original class. We don't go nearly as fast as say Turismo Mayor, Turismo Produccion, Sport Menor/Mayor, Historic A/B/C or Exhibicion (ok, I just named all the other classes) but we certainly hold our own. The key is consistency and accuracy. Check out the competitor list. Dad wins for best profile photo. It lists the various classes and we're down at car 433 with the other Orig Pan Am cars. It is exciting to have 7 cars in our class this year. Prayers that all of them finish!

What the heck this event? It is a legendary 7 day road race across Mexico. Read history about the race {aqui}. Racers and cars come from across the globe to compete in this adventure. Teams include Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Spanish, Fins, Germans and other various Europeans. The racers are as colorful as their hot rods. This year is the 25th Anniversary of the modern race. I'm looking forward to the special hoopla they have in store.

How does one prepare for something like this? Not quickly or on a whim. A sound warrior-of-a-car is key and Dad has astutely tuned our ’54 Ford Victoria. A sound car is the most important part to finishing this race. Oh yeah – “finishing” is the goal. Sounds like cake but any veteran of the La Carrera will testify otherwise. Certainly if you’ve followed us on these adventures you’ve seen some of the trials and tribulations. Anything can happen and it takes a driver (piloto) and navigator (co-piloto) who can roll with the punches and adapt in a hurry. To cross the finish line, in the car, driving on its own, in one piece – is quite an accomplishment. Our goal this year sounds simple: take it easy, have fun, make it to the finish line every day to collect our 7 day medals. I am truly blessed to share this unique experience with my Dad. I want to soak up every minute of it.

This year the race starts in Veracruz. The race has not been to Veracruz since 2006 (I think), the year before Dad began racing. We've heard stories of a tropical storm and flooding from that year so fingers crossed for clear weather.

Then 7 other cities. My favorite is Morelia. Looking forward to racing Mil Cumbres and then following the ancient aquaducts into the city and seeing my favorite cathedral in all of Mexico (from what I've seen, at least).

The car is on its way through Mexico with Tom and 7’s Only Racing. Tom is taking 5 cars down and we will meet him in Veracruz. He's two days south of the border now.

Again I am not taking a computer but will be posting as often as I can via my iPhone and with the help of my bffs in Arizona, Anna and Rachel. I will be taking lots of photos with my real camera and will then post more detailed recapitulations when I get back to the states.

Keep up with other teams will be posting updates:

  • Our friends Hayden Groendyke and Charlie Samples: usa476.com You will fall in love with their Caddy and with Charlie’s photos.
  • Kristin Stewart: funksterwtf.blogspot.com

I will let you know other sites as I hear about them.

The official La Carrera site: they say they will post daily updates this year. I'm not holding my breath.

We are very grateful to our generous sponsors including Baja Bound (insurance services for driving in Mexico) and Calderon Tires.
I am frequently asked, "You go to Mexico to do what?!" And am met with quizical, unbelieving looks and responses like, "Oh, yeah, I've heard of the Baja 1000." Or "You're crazy to go to Mexico, it's so unsafe." I'm sure it is thought that this is a tourist-y Sunday drive. Let me tell you - this is not the Baja, I've never felt unsafe, and it sure as shit isn't a Sunday drive. The La Carrera Panamericana is a world-renowned road race

*I apologize now for any profanity that might occur in the next few weeks. It happens. As you follow along, you will start doing the same. Have a shot of tequila, it helps one cope. ;)

I am no video expert but here are some clips from our in-car GoPro last year. I'm going to try to do a better job this year, plus, Dad upgraded the GoPro so hopefully we'll have some sound of me calling the turns.



And it begins. No sleep ‘til Zacatecas!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love this. I will try and have some tequila but it may just end up being wine... :)