Monday, March 23, 2009

Mexico is calling...

Time to go back!

It's time for the Chihuahua Express, the road rally race that Dad and Shields raced in last spring and I followed along as a Servicio. Well, I'm going again this year, but this time I'm actually in the race car! I am going to be Dad's Navigator/Co-Pilota. I got the suit, the helmet, the shoes...but I think I've lost my mind. Oh well! I think you have to be half crazy to sign up for these things anyway. It's a requirement.

The Chihuahua Express is a road rally based out of Chihuahua (city). Each day we race (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) we will head a different direction out of town. This race is not like the Baja race-through the sand; we will be on paved, public roads. And not all together at once like the classic movie The Great Race (though it feels we really are in the movie). For the speed sections, a car will be let go every 60 seconds. And most importantly, safety is numero uno. The car has a full roll cage, fire system, we have full fire proof suits and shoes, helmets and neck support.

The nicest part of this race is that we stay in the same hotel the whole time, unlike the La Carrera PanAmericana that Dad races in in the Fall where they are in a different city every night. The race hotel is the Westin. The accommodations are very nice and they have a very nice and hearty breakfast.

That's a very brief synopsis of what's in store. I wrote about the race last year, so you can look back if you need a refresher. We are leaving tomorrow morning to drive to Buttonwillow, outside of Bakersfield, to meet Tom, the hauler. There we will load the car onto his trailer and then head south for the long drive to the border crossing outside El Paso, picking up 2 other cars along the way. We will get to the border Wednesday morning and then reach Chihuahua by Wednesday afternoon.
The '54 Ford Victoria loaded up and rearing to go~My name on the passenger side door~

I'm going to try my hardest to post an update daily so stay tuned. It is sure to be another great adventure!

2 comments:

Ricardo Villarreal said...

Good luck on the race Lauren! You got the support of your fans Katie and Ricardo. Woo hooo!!!

Anonymous said...

Have a GREAT/SAFE trip Lauren. I'm so jealous of all your fun adventures!! Katie Otto